Monday, October 21, 2013

Blog 9


 
My Home
Home is where the heart is.  My home is about two hours away from Pullman Washington if you are headed north toward Canada.  I live in a very small town called Keller on the Colville Indian Reservation.  I am not an enrolled member of this reservation, however (HOWEVER USED IN A SENTENCE) my great grandfather was an enrolled member.  Keller is an interesting little town with no more than 300 people at any given time.  There isn’t much there, a gas station with two pumps and the store has all basic living necessities but they are extremely overpriced.  We have a community center which is usually closed for some illegitimate reason.  We also have a post office that closes at 4:00 pm every day and is locked so if we miss the 4:00 time we must wait until the next day to get our mail.  We have an elementary school, but it seems like there is more staff than (THAN USED IN A SENTENCE) students most of the time.  I attended Keller Elementary up until I was in 6th grade.  Then (THEN USED IN A SENTENCE) I went to Wilbur Jr. Sr. High School which was an hour from my house.

There aren’t a lot of things to do for fun in Keller but we always find something.  We really like to hunt and fish and swim in the warm months (VERBS WITH “AND”).  When me and my friends were younger we would spend full days at our local park swimming.  We might as well have been fish with how much we were in the water.  During the cold months we always enjoyed sledding which as I became a part of the bigger world I realized that some kids aren’t able to just sled in their back yard.  I can recall one time a friend of mine went down an iced over trail that we had created and hit a jump at the bottom-and landed it (DASH TO SHOW EMPHASIS)!  It didn’t matter what the weather was like we always found something fun in our little town.  Do you know what it is like to only have 300 people in your town (REAL QUESTION)?  The size of Keller really influenced my life.

Along with the size of Keller, the environment of Keller influenced my life drastically.  Keller is surrounded by trees of all types from ponderosa pines to spruce trees and even some cottonwoods; mountains are another grand visual aspect for Keller ranging from ragged peaks to very slow slopes, the mountains make a perfect home for the wildlife.  I love Keller’s environment (LOOOONNG SENTENCE FOLLOWED BY SHORT SENTENCE).  The wilderness housed many hours of my imagination.  My friends and I would go out into the woods and live out these very detailed scenes that we had decided on.  I hiked up the mountains and have seen some of the most beautiful sights that I think are in the world.  Do you know how beautiful the environment is (RHETORICAL QUESTION)?

Growing up in Keller is what made me who I am today and I wouldn’t give that up for the world; from the trees to the mountains to the people, each one of them has taught me something about who I am that I don’t think I would have learned in any other place and that is very special to me-while some people don’t understand what it is like to grow up in such a small town I think that there is a sense of community that is unlike any other and for that I am beyond grateful that I grew up in Keller. (ONE-SENTENCE PARAGRAPH)

No comments:

Post a Comment